FC3 Upgrade of x86-64 System?

Andrew W. Donoho awd at DDG.com
Sat Nov 6 22:54:01 UTC 2004

On Nov 6, 2004, at 13:18, Kyrre Ness Sjobak wrote:
> lør, 06.11.2004 kl. 19.33 skrev seth vidal:
>> On Sat, 2004-11-06 at 11:00 -0600, Andrew W. Donoho wrote:

>>> _
>>>
>>> Folks,
>>>
>>> With the impending release of FC3, I was wondering if a single i386
>>> rescue disk can be used to kick off both i386 and x86-64 system
>>> upgrades? In other words, can I boot the i386 rescue disk on an
>>> x86-64
>>> system and then point it at an x86-64 repository to do the install as
>>> an x86-64 system?
>>>

>> no, the kernel is wrong.
>> -sv
>>

> Shouldn't really be a problem - as long as it boots (and i386 code runs
> on x86_64)
>
> Original poster: what exactly do you mean? Do you mean to perform an
> yum
> upgrade, or to start an anaconda nfs (etc.) install? HW. detection the
> problem here?

I would be performing an anaconda HTTP upgrade. What I want is, because
the rescue CD can ask you which protocol and code repository to use, I
would like it to install the kernel and supporting material from the
repository and not from the rescue CD. This isn't really a big deal but
it would be a nice feature - one rescue CD for all x86 derived systems,
32 and 64 bit.

It isn't so much a hardware upgrade problem but rather, as I understand
it, to get the new udev functionality in FC3 I need to do an anaconda
upgrade. In other words, I am foolishly trying to save burning two CDs:
FC3 i386 rescue CD and x86-64 FC3 CD 1.

> But really - it is enough space (if that is the problem) for both a 32
> and 64 bit kernel on the rescue cd.

Yes, the rescue CD is only 70-80 MB in size. Plenty of room for every
kernel that Fedora supports. If the machine can read the disc, it
should be able to boot from it.

Andrew

Andrew W. Donoho
awd at DDG.com, PGP Key ID: 0x81D0F250
+1 (512) 453-6652 (o), +1 (512) 750-7596 (m)