interesting dilemma with sound.

Paul paul at thespps.org
Sun Nov 7 04:21:10 UTC 2004

So until recently, I really haven't used Linux for my personal
desktop/laptop machine.  I've used Linux for servers, etc, but just
recently got the desire to make a full-fledged switch, trying to get
away from windows one "purpose" at a time.

So I decided I wanted to listen to some music on my Linux laptop, I
figured this would be no big deal with my sound card as during the
install it seemed like it found the hardware and played the test sound
just fine.

I installed flac support, mp3 support, and Realplayer as well.  BUT when
I go to play a wav or flac or mp3 file it ~looks~ like it is playing -
meaning the levels on the EQ display are moving, the player is advancing
through the song, but zero sound. I tried Realplayer, Helix, and XMMS -
all with the same results.

Does anyone have any advice? Running FC3T3.

-Paul