What I hope is not in FC3

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Sun Nov 7 13:21:18 UTC 2004

On Sunday 07 November 2004 05:56, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:

> What your problem is, I have no idea... but I can assure you that I and
> many, many, *many* computers do not share it.

It's very hard to estimate in what proportion of cases installation fails,
since there seem to be no statistics,
and obviously one reads of failures more often,
since few people are going to post messages to the effect that all is fine.

However, I believe the proportion of failures is increasing.
This may be because there is a wider range of hardware.
It may also be because less attention is paid to installation difficulties.

I have 6 computers at home, 1 of which is currently not working.
(If anyone knows of a site that will mend a Sony Playstation, let me know!)
I have had problems with Fedora installation on 3 of these:
two Sony Playstations (C1VE and C1VFK) and an Asus-P2BLS SCSI-only machine.
I won't go into the problems here, but the upshot is that
no Redhat/Fedora distribution has installed cleanly on these 3 machines
since Redhat-8.0.
On the Picturebooks, the standard Sony CD reader is not supported;
on the Asus, the fairly standard SCSI driver has not been properly installed
by the distribution kernels.

So in my case at least, installation problems have been getting worse.
I shall try FC-3 as soon as it comes out,
but I have very little hope that it will be any better from this point of view
than FC-2, since I don't think this kind of issue is being addressed.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366