yum upgrade? - Failed

Truls Gulbrandsen trulsg at broadpark.no
Sun Nov 7 18:37:41 UTC 2004

seth vidal wrote:
|>|
|>| Everything went fine until reboot.  I have two kernels installed
|>| 2.6.8-152 and 2.6.9.649.
|>|
|>| When using the 2.6.9 kernel startup stops at a point when it says
|>| "switching to new root"
|>| and
|>| when using the 2.6.8 kernel startup stops at almost the same place
|>| stating "Warning: unable to open an initial console".
|>|
|>| It was a good thing I did this on a test machine not my live one but do
|>| you have any suggestions to work around this or am I at a point where
|>| need to install from a cd?
|

| Is udev installed?
|
| try running: rpm -Va --nofiles
|
| and see what it turns up.
|
| I bet something in your system has a missing dep.
|
| -sv

Yes, I have installe udev.

rpm -Va --nofiles gave nothing, just a blank commandline.

The only way I can get a command line is by using a rescue cd.  What
happens before the system halts is:

- --quote

Creating block device
Creating root device
Mounting root filesystem
kjournald startin. Commmit interval 5 seconds
Switching to new root

- --unquote

then is stops.  I can restart using alt-ctrl-del so the computer
responds but not to any commands.

Truls