interesting dilemma with sound.

Graydon graydon at epiphyte.net
Sun Nov 7 19:28:08 UTC 2004

On Sat, Nov 06, 2004 at 09:21:10PM -0700, Paul scripsit:
> I installed flac support, mp3 support, and Realplayer as well.  BUT
> when I go to play a wav or flac or mp3 file it ~looks~ like it is
> playing - meaning the levels on the EQ display are moving, the player
> is advancing through the song, but zero sound. I tried Realplayer,
> Helix, and XMMS - all with the same results.
>
> Does anyone have any advice? Running FC3T3.

It's very likely that you've got zeroed sound output levels.

If you try 'system-config-soundcard' and cannot hear the test sound, run
'alsamixer' as root and make sure you've got reasonable output levels.

I've hit this with some kernels, and not with others.  It seems to be
much improved lately, and no, I have no idea why the alsa levels don't
get reliably saved.