telnet server problem

jqian jqian2003 at comcast.net
Sun Nov 7 21:28:40 UTC 2004

Hi, I'm encountering a problem I've never had before after install Fedora
Core 3 test3:
I enable the telnet server, and it runs as part of xinetd.  But when I try
logging in, the server doesn't give me an opportunity to enter a username;
the "Login:" prompt doesn't appear.  All that happens is three messages of
"Login incorrect" in quick succession.

When I examine /var/log/secure, the logs have
"login: FAILED LOGIN SESSION FROM 192.168.0.2 FOR (null), Authentication
failure"
So apparently the server compeletely ignores me having to type a username
for it.  This problem occurs when i trying telnetting to localhost also.

What would be the problem here?  I don't have a very good knowledge of the
new permissions from such things like SELinux, so could these have something
to do with it?

Thanks