yum update trouble Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: base

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 19:46:47 UTC 2004

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 14:40:39 -0500, Neal D. Becker
<ndbecker2 at verizon.net> wrote:
> I had hand-edited /etc/fedora-release, but maybe there was some typo.  I
> don't know.  I grabbed fedora-release RPM, updated, mv'd
> all /etc/repos.d/*.rpmnew over originals, then everything is working.

you didnt answer the question, and I think you are making an invalid assumption.
Hand editting /etc/fedora-release is not sufficient.

man yum.conf
$releasever
              This will be replaced with the value of the version of the pack-
              age  listed in distroverpkg. This defaults to the version of the
              package redhat-release

yum does not read the string in /etc/fedora-release, yum queries the
rpmdb and asks what the version of fedora-release package that you
have installed from the rpm database.
-jef