Vaio Z600 CDRom

David Franks david.frankstrial at uicl.co.uk
Tue Nov 9 21:21:30 UTC 2004

Hi,

I am not an experienced Linux user, but am keen to move away from
Windows if I can get my laptop to do all the things I need.

Have installed the final release of FC3 and was thrilled how smoothly it
went.  I did a hard disk install rather than a CDRom to avoid burning
unnecessary CDs.

However I now can't get my laptop to recognise the CDRom drive which is
a PCMCIA CD51/A.

I've googled and tried a variety of "ide2(and ide1)=0x86,0x386"
additions to the linux boot line, but this just causes the boot process
to hang at the "remounting filesystem" stage.

Has anyone any suggestions as to how to get the CDRom recognised?

"Getting Desperate of Hertfordshire"

David Franks