FC3RC5 is doing something on partition mount

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Wed Nov 10 01:40:24 UTC 2004

Gene Heskett wrote:
> Greetings;
>
> I have a dual boot system, one side is FC3RC5, and the other side is a
> mixed debian/morphix/rtai install.
>
> The only shared piece of any disk in the system is /boot, with grub
> installed in the MBR.
>
> I do have entries in the FC3RC5 /etc/fstab file that does a cross
> mount so that I can move stuff back and forth between its normal;
> boot, and booting up the Brain Dead Install (BDI) to run the emc
> (electronic machine control, or CNC) program.
>
> The mount operation when FC3RC5 is booted is doing something to the
> BDI installs partition that renders it incapable of being checked
> with exactly the same version of e2fsck, each one calling itself 1.35
> TBE.  It reports that this filesystem contains options that are not
> supported by this version of e2fsck, and that I should get a newer
> one and try again.
>
>   The only thing that I have been able to do to get BDI to reboot, is
> to put in the cd and reinstall it, meaning it will mke3fs
> on /dev/hda5 as it does so.  This takes about 2 hours as the machine
> and the cd are both getting old and slow like me.
>
> Then it will reboot, and its /etc/fstab then mounts the FC3RC5
> partition just fine.
>
> Which of the mount options in the FC3RC5 bootup's fstab do I remove to
> prevent this screwing with the other boots data?  Or do I have to
> remove the FC3's /etc/fstab mount of it entirely, which will be a
> pita as the other sides networking isn't just yet.
> The /etc/modules.conf link is on the missing list when booted to BDI.

This problem was noticed by me when trying to boot any FC system that is
pre-FC3T1 with systems that are later than FC3T2. I got booted to a
maint shell on the pre-fc3T2 systems. I guessed that the culpret was
autofs.

Anyway, you can either remove the /etc/fstab from pre-FC3T2 systems or
disable the filechecking for the volumes. I know that I was able to
mount FC3T2 and later volumes within an FC2 system after the system booted.

I hope you can make sense of what I'm trying to explain.

Good Luck,

Jim