gtkam missing

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 14:17:40 UTC 2004

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 08:58:02 -0500, Temlakos <temlakos at comcast.net> wrote:
> I see! Or, I think I see. Now why didn't the release notes specifically
> *say* that gthumb performs all the functions of the old gtkam? (Does
> gthumb have a plug-in for gimp?)

You will never see a software replacement provide all the functions of
another piece of software.  But there is sort of a valid point being
made here. I don't necessarily agree that the level of release note
detailed implied in this statement needs to be considered. But I do
think it would be wise to include a brief statement of reason why each
removed package is removed and a reference to the new application the
user should be looking at to evaluate as a replacement if appropriate.

The deprecated package list  in the release notes does exactly what
I'm talking about, the lilo entry in the deprecated list has the level
of detail i think should be provided in the remove list. a very terse
explanation and a reference to grub as the functional equivalent.

Without getting into the politics and technical reasons for the
decision to drop gtkam, if gthumb is the recommended replacement for
the bulk of the functionality of gtkam, the release notes should make
a terse reference for users who will notice it missing.

-jef