apt (was: gtkam missing)

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Wed Nov 10 17:40:47 UTC 2004

On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 08:58:02AM -0500, Temlakos wrote:

> And when will *apt* distribute with Fedora? The best package manager
> ever invented, the best solution to the RPM dependency problem I've ever
> seen

Don't get overboard here. Apt is doing extremely poor job if
an installation is not "absolutely depency clean" and the last
thing in practice may be not happen sometimes for multiple reasons.
I have seen cases where apt insisted on deleting half of packages
because of something obscure and unimportant.  On some level it
was "right" at the given moment but also totally unhelpful and
allowing it to do what it wanted to do would be very destructive.

   Michal