FC3 - wrong screen resolution

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Thu Nov 11 01:53:46 UTC 2004

> I found that when hittin ctrl-C after the system hangs it actually
> continues to boot and gives me a command line.
>
> The problem is that system settings - display did not update my
> xorg.conf file correctly.  The driver name for the video card was not
> replaced with the corect one but ended up as mix of "Vesa" and "S3Trio3D"

This has to be edited as root. I like to use mc. (midnight commander).
All you need to do as root is the below.
- Start mc
- navigate to the /etc/X11/ directory.
- highlight the xorg.conf file
- press the F4 key to edit the file
- scroll down to where the vesa and S3Trio3D entries are located.
- remove the vesa entry
- press F2 to save the file
- alt-Fn to a terminal (2 - 4)
- log in as a regular user
- type startx in the terminal and X should start (or at least attempt to
start)

Don't launch X as a root user - if it gets "hungry", it will eat your
filesystem.

If editing the file does not work, it might be possible to run
system-config-display --reconfig
and see if you have any luck with s-c-display doing the right thing this
time. Since you know the desired card, you can select this under the
hardware and display settings tab, if X will start.

I wouldn't attempt to do a clean install because of one file setting.

Jim