problem with kernel-2.6.9-1.1_FC2 initrd - can't recreate, but disturbing

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Thu Nov 11 05:34:44 UTC 2004

On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 12:24:28AM -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:

 > Works fine on another test system too. *sigh* -- nothing worse than
 > irreproducible results.
 >
 > What about <http://isec.pl/vulnerabilities/isec-0017-binfmt_elf.txt>?

that's on my list for tomorrows fun. *sigh*.

 > Oh, and also, is that underscore in the package release just a temporary
 > testing thing? I hope so, 'cause it's really ugly. :)

Without it, theres no way to distinguish a 2.6.9-1.1 for FC2 from
a 2.6.9-1.1 from FC3 development (extreme example used, but you get the
idea).  I still occasionally see folks filing bugs against _ancient_
kernels, so its feasible that it could come from either.
The alternative would've been something like 2.6.9-1.1.1

 > In any case, thanks for putting together an FC2 update; I know FC3/RHEL4 is
 > where all the fun is. :)

Well, my plan is to have all three currently kernels that I'm still
actively responsible for on at least roughly the same footing so that
they all get to benefit from the wider testing, and also sharing
fixes from other streams.

		Dave