DVD Ram Mounting Issue

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Thu Nov 11 15:57:57 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 17:59 -0500, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 03:21:49PM -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:
> > Can anyone see an issue (security etc) with doing that? For traditional
> > optical media it will get mounted 'ro' anyway.
>
> CD-RW erasure comes under ro v rw and SG_IO rights to go around the back
> of a file system. I think it all depends on your trust model for the
> system which goes back to stuff filed for FC4 so the user can specify that.

Hey, aren't you talking about rw access to the device node, say /dev/hdc
or /dev/cdwriter? The console user already got these rw rights otherwise
e.g. nautilus-cd-burner wouldn't be very useful.

For instance, today I may mount a filesystem from a CD-RW and then erase
the disc at the same time (which should be fixed by putting some brains
into the CD burning/erasing software; e.g. check if (parts of) the disc
is already mounted; maybe it's already there, dunno).

> I've no strong opinion either way but if it is changed in an update it
> needs good documenting and might also need a kernel detail fixing

Can you clarify what kernel fixing is needed?

It is my understanding that only DVD-RAM drives with DVD-RAM media will
allow one to mount a filesystem rw (for optical drives) - is this
correct?

Thanks,
David