Why don't you guys like synaptic?

Kim Lux lux at diesel-research.com
Thu Nov 11 16:49:42 UTC 2004

That was my point: synaptic and apt use rpms.  So if I've got a
dependency issue with apt and synaptic, I'll be having a dependency
issue with rpms as well.  I'd much, much rather use synaptic to take
care of those issues than doing it manually with rpms.

I've had to install packages in the past that have needed 6 to twelve
other packages.  (mplayer, xine, kdebase-devel of a new version, etc.)
When synaptic can do the install it is much, much easier than manually
doing it with rpms.

I wasn't aware that synaptic was a single arch package.  I don't think
users care if synaptic isn't written in python.  They just want a system
to easily install packages with.  I'd say it works pretty darn good
80-95% of the time.

--
Kim Lux (Mr.)  Diesel Research Inc