DVD Ram Mounting Issue

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Thu Nov 11 18:03:34 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-11 at 10:59 -0500, Alan Cox wrote:
> > It is my understanding that only DVD-RAM drives with DVD-RAM media will
> > allow one to mount a filesystem rw (for optical drives) - is this
> > correct?
>
> Correct, but if you were to say erase an ext2fs while its mounted you'll
> crash the machine probably

So, in light of this discussion, I guess it makes sense to remove the
'ro' option from any entry in the /etc/fstab for optical drives. I will
prepare an update of hal for FC3 so Si can actually use his DVD-RAM
drive and media without dropping to a root shell.

Btw, it is my (personal) view that (commandline) tools should refuse to
do this on mounted filesystems (unless forced); yes, I realise this is a
departure from the old UNIX way of "we let the (power) user screw up his
machine instead of asking annoying questions", but maybe that is just
me.

Thanks,
David