Why don't you guys like synaptic?

Kim Lux lux at diesel-research.com
Thu Nov 11 21:00:04 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-11 at 15:36 -0500, Paul Iadonisi wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-11-11 at 13:04 -0700, Kim Lux wrote:
> > I didn't update from a test release.  I updated from a release
> > candidate.  I was told there is a difference.
>
>   Regardless of whether or not there is a difference, they are
> definitely the same in one respect: upgrades from either test release or
> release candidates to official releases are not supported.

The last time someone made that statement, the line was "upgrades from
test releases are not supported."  Now that we've got a bug issue in a
final release, the stance changes to "upgrades from test and release
candidates" are not supported.

Let me ask you this: if an upgrade from a test release or a release
candidate aren't guaranteed, how can you guarantee that an upgrade from
a previous final release will work ?

>   It is
> therefore to your benefit to set your expectations accordingly.  It can
> and will break, albeit with RCs likely a lot less than test releases.
> But as you can see in your case, it has (slightly) broken things.

"It" has ?  Or is there a bug in here somewhere that breaks things all
on its own that has nothing to do with the fact that an upgrade is
involved and the upgrade is just an excuse so that people don't give the
issue some attention.

Let me tell you a little story:

FC2 final-> FC3Test3 = no sound
Clean FC3rc3 = no sound
FC3rc3 -> rc5 via yum when I finally got the repository = no sound.
FC3final = no sound.

Yesterday adding snd-intel8x0m to /etc/usb/hotplug/blacklist and sound
works !

My sound issue had absolutely NOTHING to do with the fact that an
upgrade was involved.

>   So the general rule of thumb is that it will probably work most of the
> time, but you will likely need to spend a little time patching things
> up.

I don't understand what should need patching.  All the files in a new
install are installed via packages.  All the files in an upgrade are
installed from packages.  As long as an install has the latest packages,
they should be the same.  If not, how can we trust the update process ?

>   We already beat this to death on this list (or was it fedora-devel-
> list?) earlier.  What is it being rehashed again?

A guy came on here with a sound problem and someone told him to
reinstall.

--
Kim Lux (Mr.)  Diesel Research Inc