Why don't you guys like synaptic?

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 11 21:09:04 UTC 2004

Kim Lux said:
> On Thu, 2004-11-11 at 15:36 -0500, Paul Iadonisi wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 2004-11-11 at 13:04 -0700, Kim Lux wrote:
>>
>>> I didn't update from a test release.  I updated from a release
>>> candidate.  I was told there is a difference.
>>
>> Regardless of whether or not there is a difference, they are
>> definitely the same in one respect: upgrades from either test release or
>>  release candidates to official releases are not supported.
>
> The last time someone made that statement, the line was "upgrades from
> test releases are not supported."  Now that we've got a bug issue in a
> final release, the stance changes to "upgrades from test and release
> candidates" are not supported.

You are the one trying to make a distiction between "test" and "release
candidate".  They are the same thing.

> Let me ask you this: if an upgrade from a test release or a release
> candidate aren't guaranteed, how can you guarantee that an upgrade from a
> previous final release will work ?

Those are what get tested.  Trying to see if one random group of testing
packages will update to another group of testing packages doesn't have
anything to do with upgrading from a known set of released packages to a
known set of release packages.

[snip]

> "It" has ?  Or is there a bug in here somewhere that breaks things all
> on its own that has nothing to do with the fact that an upgrade is involved
> and the upgrade is just an excuse so that people don't give the issue some
> attention.

The issue in this thread is a direct result of you trying to upgrade.  End
of story.

> Let me tell you a little story:
[snip]
> My sound issue had absolutely NOTHING to do with the fact that an
> upgrade was involved.

Look at the subject again.  No one here is talking about sound.

>> So the general rule of thumb is that it will probably work most of the
>> time, but you will likely need to spend a little time patching things up.
>>

> I don't understand what should need patching.  All the files in a new
> install are installed via packages.  All the files in an upgrade are
> installed from packages.  As long as an install has the latest packages,
> they should be the same.  If not, how can we trust the update process ?

Files that are changed outside of the normal RPM process (a big example
are config files) aren't always over written.  Additionally, some testing
packages might appear "newer" than release packages, so they aren't
upgraded.  Your issue is most likely that you still have the wrong
fedora-release RPM.  Of course I'm guess here, because you are more
interesting in ranting on about upgrading than giving us the info to help
you.

--
William Hooper