Why don't you guys like synaptic?

Douglas Furlong douglas.furlong at firebox.com
Thu Nov 11 22:05:27 UTC 2004

Paul Iadonisi wrote:

>On Thu, 2004-11-11 at 14:00 -0700, Kim Lux wrote:
>
>[snip]
>

>>The last time someone made that statement, the line was "upgrades from
>>test releases are not supported."  Now that we've got a bug issue in a
>>final release, the stance changes to "upgrades from test and release
>>candidates" are not supported.
>>

>  You seem insistent on asserting that there is a difference between
>test releases and release candidates, while I don't remember anyone from
>Red Hat indicating anything of the sort.  At least with respect to
>upgrades from RCs to official releases, there is no difference.  I
>haven't seen RCs even *defined*.  If they are not defined, how can you
>expect *anything* to be any more guaranteed to work than test releases.
>  So the stance has not changed at all.  You've just insisted on a
>definition of test releases that I don't think whoever labels release
>candidates as such shares.  If whoever decided on the label 'Release
>Candidate' cares to comment, then fine, we may be on a path to defining
>what a Release Candidate actually is.  Until then, you can assume
>nothing.

I got the impression that the release candidates were very unofficialy
bundled by a very nice chap (sorry can't remember your name mate), and
mirrored by another very nice chappy over at duke.edu.

I got the impression that there were three things being "achieved" by
the RC's.
A) Some final trails of the kernel, I get the impression they were not
compleately confident and really wanted it tested thouroughly.
B) Test a new build/release system.
C) Let us eager beavers see the new greatest and latest, with most bugs
squashed.

No comments were made on http://fedora.redhat.com/ about it, which to me
makes it "unoficial".

What I hate, is the apparent attitude of some that seems to "demand"
things from a free, voluntear force. I use fedora at work, BUT I know
what I am getting and the stability of it, I also made it 100% clear to
the company that I work for, what they are getting and what support they
can expect.

Nothing is being hidden from us, and at no point have I ever seen that
upgrading from any thing other then a "Final Release" would EVER be
"supported".

Doug