FC3 - Has the community given up on up2date?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Nov 11 22:22:22 UTC 2004

On Thursday 11 November 2004 16:55, Ken Snider wrote:
>nodata wrote:
>> I think so, yes. If not, why was yum developed?
>
>It was developed initially by another vendor, Yellow Dog Linux. It
> wasn't developed for Fedora.
>
>> Personally, I'm a apt person. I find it takes less time to do what
>> I want it to do: apt certainly starts faster, and the search
>> facility is much better, but yum does have that nice groupinstall
>> option.
>
>And you are obviously not a person using multiarch, or you'd quickly
> find out where apt id deficient
>
>> Another advantage of apt is that it still works when you break
>> your python install..
>
>That argument is a red herring. Are you more likely to break, for
> example, your python install than, say, the more-often-updated
> glibc install (which would break all package managers, really)?

Thats an extremely off experience here statement .  Yum has updated
glibc once on this box that I know of.  No problems caused by that.
But every time it tries to put in a newer python libxml2, it breaks
itself and half the rest of the system that uses python till I go
back to the FC2 cd's and forceably reinstall the originals again.  If
the writers of libxml2 cannot make a new version backwards
compatible, I would much prefer it be left the hell alone until all
the stuff that depends on it have also been updated to be compatible.

I've had a severely crippled machine for 3 of the 6 months I've been
running FC2.  And questions sent here as to why have, with one or two
exceptions, been met with the usual phone support lets take it by the
numbers order of troubleshooting that degenerates into a 'Gee, thats
never happened here' quote, and I'm left hanging.  Once I figured out
that if I put the CD's versions back in, I've been able to fix it
everytime yum fubars it.  But I eventually got tired of that and now
thats in the exclude list in my yum.conf.

>> up2date can't handle 404s, it just dies. up2date's gui will blank
>> out all important information. I'm guessing it's a threading
>> problem - I don't know.
>
>*shrug* I use the text version. However bugs are bugs - they need to
> be fixed, and I certainly wouldn't call the bugs described above
> the reason to jettison a whole app.
>
>> A healthy bit of competition between yum and apt is always good,
>> but I can't see a good reason for up2date any more - is there one?
>> :)

I haven't figured it out, it hasn't worked here since I put in FC2
over RH8.  Yum, with the libxml2 exceptions, has worked quite well
here.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)