Why don't you guys like synaptic?

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Fri Nov 12 01:37:47 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-11 at 14:30 -0500, William Hooper wrote:
> Lamar Owen said:
> [snip]
> > I have used both apt-get for RPM and yum, and I have used both yumi (aka
> > CoBind Manager) and synaptic.  From a professional's point of view,
> > synaptic/apt is superior in a number of ways:
> [snip]
>  from a scratch WBEL3 respin1 install in both cases,
> [snip]
>
> If you are basing your experience on WBEL, you are using an old version of
> yum.

I have to concur: I've tried both current yum and current apt to upgrade
FC2->FC3. My experience with both of them basically matches with
Lamar's.

In addition to that, a "special" experience was using yum on connections
with overloaded ftp-servers ...

AFAIU, apt downloads its files in "one rush", while yum iteratively
downloads the package headers. With overloaded servers rejecting or
refusing connections on the remote end, yum bombed out with all kind of
errors.

I'll continue to use apt.

Ralf

--
Ralf Corsepius
Forschungsinstitut fuer Anwendungsorientierte Wissensverarbeitung (FAW)