Upgrading from testing releases (was:Re: Why don't you guys like

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Fri Nov 12 02:30:36 UTC 2004

>   I suggest you *change* your expectation that upgrading from test
> releases must work (and if you think it should be fixed when broken,
> that too), or stop testing altogether.  Otherwise, you are setting
> yourself up to be blasted by those who toil to give you the fruits of
> their labor for nothing other than some cooperation in troubleshooting a
> problem ... clean installs and upgrades from OFFICIAL releases being two
> of those steps.

You know, I begin to wonder myself if the whole 'upgrades from test
releases are not supported' rule at this point.  Since the distribution is
essentially unsupported in toto, and since one really cannot say ahead of
time which one of the release candidates will make Gold, where is the line
really drawn? (I know where people say it's drawn...)

I say that having been a tester for some time, not a johnny-come-lately.

And I have myself said before to complainers that upgrades from test
releases are not supported.  And I understand the meaning of 'supported'
in this context.

To Kim Lux, understand that 'unsupported' means that 'the Fedora
Developers will not consume resources to solve these problems' not that it
won't work.  It might work; the developers only will put their 'guarantee'
and 'seal of approval' on upgrades from Official version to Official
version.  If it breaks you own it.  But, then again, it's that way with
'Official' releases, too.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology