Features for FC4

Paul Iadonisi pri.rhl3 at iadonisi.to
Fri Nov 12 03:55:03 UTC 2004

Partly to show that I do think a lot of your posts are valuable ;-) ...

On Thu, 2004-11-11 at 20:44 -0700, Kim Lux wrote:
> Please tell me more about qemu.  Is it an SF package and how are you (or
> others) using it.

  It's used by Metropipe's Virtual Private Machine
(http://www.metropipe.net/ProductsPVPM.shtml).  Nice thing about it over
Xen is that the kernel doesn't have to be 'ported' to run under it.  You
can find it at http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/.

> I was also thinking of using xen, but then if there is a bug people
> might say that xen was causing it.  Any thoughts ?

  Yes, especially since it's a customized kernel.  And, unfortunately,
I've already tried it ... though it may actually work with FC3, it
doesn't seem to want to work when you have the root filesystem on an LVM
volume, which, as luck would have it, is how FC3 is installed by
default.  Bummer.  It's worth a shot, though, if you want to try
installing FC3 and doing custom partitioning.  Get rid of the LVM
install and do a regular dos partitioning style install (i.e: the "old"
way).  I may do that myself.  If I do, I'll report back on my success or
failure.

--
-Paul Iadonisi
 Senior System Administrator