FC3 disappointment: KsCD locks system; grip; CDROM in general.

Thomas Cameron thomas.cameron at camerontech.com
Fri Nov 12 05:04:20 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-11 at 11:53 -0700, Kim Lux wrote:
> In my mind there is a big difference between perfection and having a
> CDROM that doesn't work.

Kim -

I'm sorry but I have not seen others with your CDROM issue with any
frequency on this or on the fedora users list.  I've installed FC3 (from
early testing to various RCs to release) on a bunch of machines and on
every one of them the CD works as you'd expect.  It sounds to me like
*you've* got some sort of gremlin - hardware incompatibility, broken
drive or somesuch silliness.  This is not the developers' or the
distro's fault.  It's not your fault.  It's a case of "sh*t happens, now
move on."

Did you read the first paragraph at http://fedora.redhat.com?

"The Fedora Project is a Red-Hat-sponsored and community-supported open
source project. It is also a proving ground for new technology that may
eventually make its way into Red Hat products. It is not a supported
product"

Pay special attention to the last sentence.  Fedora is basically Red
Hat's public beta of technologies which may (or may not) get into RHEL.
Red Hat and the Fedora team promise best effort, but make no guarantees
about this software.

You're coming across as saying you want all the newest stuff (latest
KDE) and you want it to run flawlessly.  Guess what?  It ain't gonna
happen.  If you're hanging out here on the bleeding edge it's going to
be rough.

You're busting the team's chops over what appear to me to be a problem
that doesn't seem to be common.  Move on, man.
--
A: Because people read from top to bottom.
Q: Why is top-posting bad?

Thomas Cameron, RHCE, CNE, MCSE, MCT