FC3 Final: no sound

Nils Philippsen nphilipp at redhat.com
Fri Nov 12 14:22:32 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-11 at 10:33 -0700, Kim Lux wrote:
> Nobody has ever mentioned downgrading packages prior to release before.
>
> Is there a list of such downgrades somewhere ?

I don't think so and I didn't say that I knew of particular downgrades
in this case ;-).

> Let me ask this: if Fedora Core 3rc5 was the last one anyone tested and
> THEN the release team decided to downgrade some packages, when was the
> "downgraded" release ever tested ??????

Using downgraded packages usually means using packages which were known
to work before, like in "we rather use this older version that doesn't
have these features but doesn't have those bugs as well".

> I don't mean to shout and I don't mean to create hurt feelings, but I
> really think the release/testing process could be dramatically
> improved.

How? By concentrating on real-world scenarios (upgrading from proper
releases or fresh installs)? I thought we already did that ;-P.

Honestly: If you want to get help with a problem, such "from-above-talk"
ain't gonna help ya. We do take criticism seriously but only if it is
constructive -- tell us how you think something can be improved instead
of telling us that something could be improved (without the slightest
idea how, even we can't do better ;-).

A few hints: AVOID TYPING IN ALL CAPITALS. People will tell you not to
scream at them and/or ignore you. Avoid excessive punctuation!!!!!!!
People will only think you're using an exclamation mark because you
don't have a point.

Nils
     Nils Philippsen    /    Red Hat    /    nphilipp at redhat.com