Features for FC4

Douglas Furlong douglas.furlong at firebox.com
Fri Nov 12 15:35:01 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-11-12 at 18:32 +0300, Vano Beridze wrote:
> Jeff Spaleta wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 16:34:50 +0300, Vano Beridze
> ><vano.beridze at silkroad.ge> wrote:
> >

> >>I know this was discussed many times but I still want to know if
> >>it's possible to have a minimal install of fedora.
> >>

> >Sure its possible... feel free to take a look at the comps.xml file
> >that defines package groups. This has repeatedly come up, but noone in
> >the community who expresses interest has actually done the work to
> >submit an atlernative comps.xml for testing that creates a better
> >"minimum".  In the past, the issue as died in a long long thread of
> >what different people expect in a minimal install and end up bitching
> >back and forth over specific packages. I have NEVER seen a community
> >member interested in the minimal install idea actually offer an
> >editted comps.xml file for testing. And thats exactly what this is
> >going to take. Someone interested to sit down and go through the
> >comps.xml file groupings and re-arrange things and offer the new
> >comps.xml file for testing, that creates a better minimum but leaves
> >the desktop/workstation/server install types unaffected. Until there
> >is an alterative comps.xml that other people in the community can
> >rebuild isos with and do test installs with, there is no more to
> >discuss.
> >

> Thank you jef.
> Now I know where to start.
>
> Should I take comps.xml from upcoming core 4 test 1 or get it from
> somewhere else?

Jef was being incredibly unfair, there is actually some one on this
list, one of the Rodolfo's (sorry for the spelling?), who has been quite
vocal trying to get a minimal install up and running (remember the
argument about synaptec and up2date any one? :))

Check the archives, there IS some one working on this, working hard I
believe, trying to work out what can be removed.

Please check the archives, and talk with him, I am sure he will be
incredibly happy to work on it with you.

--
Douglas Furlong
Systems Administrator