Features for FC4

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sat Nov 13 13:04:18 UTC 2004

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 15:35:01 +0000, Douglas Furlong
<douglas.furlong at firebox.com> wrote:
> Jef was being incredibly unfair, there is actually some one on this
> list, one of the Rodolfo's (sorry for the spelling?), who has been quite
> vocal trying to get a minimal install up and running (remember the
> argument about synaptec and up2date any one? :))

Several people have been vocal... and in the past 2+ years several
people have gotten excited by the idea, and then wandered off never to
return with something other people can test. Maybe I missed something,
but I haven't seen an alternative comps.xml file show up in the devel
or test list for community to test. Maybe the discussion has moved to
the anaconda list. If you have a reference to something testable
please give me the citation. A testable comps.xml that can be used to
regenerate installable anaconda based images.
We can spend days and days and days discussing what should be and what
should not be in minimal install, trying to find the perfect package
list...and all that discussion is absolutely pointless, if no one
delivers a comps.xml file for other people to test. Waiting for
someone inside Red Hat to make it a priority to rework the changes
into a comps.xml is going to be a long long wait. Everybody who thinks
this is important need to start delivering a comps.xml group file that
can be tested. It doesn't have to be perfect, i expect several
iterations of feedback about the finer points, but if someone is
working on a new minimal grouping it needs to see a significant amount
of community testing while its being developed.

> Check the archives, there IS some one working on this, working hard I
> believe, trying to work out what can be removed.

Bah... show ME a comps.xml that I can test by rolling new installer
images with.  Talking about it only gets so far. And its been
discussed several times now on the general lists. If someone in the
community is hard at work on this, they need to start producing
comps.xml
revisions for community testing.

-jef