Can we play DVD movies under FC3?

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sun Nov 14 01:13:33 UTC 2004

On 11/13/2004 03:36:17 PM, Ernest L. Williams Jr. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How can one play DVD movies unofficially under Fedora Core Release 3?

Theoretically with the right GStreamer plugins and totem.
It's not working for me, it did work for me in FC2 with gstreamer-
backend totem - I'm at a loss for why it isn't now, I have the same
gstreamer plugins built and working.

I'm guessing it has to do with either the newer version of gstreamer-
plugins or the newer version of totem. When it was working for in FC2
it was with older versions of each.

I tried building the current totem (-0.99.20) and that was worse that
what Fedora is shipping - it ended up getting itself stuck in an error
loop that forced me to switch to a console and kill it.

But anyway - if anyone knows _why_ current GStreamer totem can't play
DVD's with the right plugins, I would like to know - especially if
there is a fix :D

// I don't consider using xine totem a fix

The GStreamer plugins I'm using are at
http://mpeters.us/linux/fc3_gstreamer.php

I also tried with the 0.8.5.2 development GStreamer plugins - same
failure with DVD playback though.
-=-

Also - Totem in FC3Test3 would play .m4a (aac) files. It does not in
fc3 final. gst-launch-ext-0.8 does - so I know the plugin works.

divx works nicely though -
http://homepage.mac.com/mpeters/tux/images_fedora/fc3-3.jpeg