FC3 NFS install with ISO images does not work

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Mon Nov 15 03:22:06 UTC 2004

George Hill wrote:

>Can you do an NFS install using ISO images with FC3 as
>you could with FC2? I just tried and it did not work.
>
>With FC2, you could boot as linux askmethod, specify
>NFS, point to an NFS-mountable directory that
>contained the ISO images, and install. I tried that
>with FC3 and I get a message saying that it does not
>look like the directory contains Fedora. When I did a
>mount -o loop ... the NFS install went fine (until it
>ran out of stuff to install -- I could only mount one
>iso image). Anyone else run into this? Thoughts?
>Thanks,

This worked fine for me using the x86_64 DVD. In fact my Athlon 3500+
tore right through the installation in record time (about 25 minutes)
compared to my Pentium 4 machines. I try to use NFS for all my installs
because they finish quickly. And changing CDs gets old fast when I have
other things to do.

I've also done FC2 installs using VNC. I've forgotten the magic
incantation needed to get a vnc install going. Look at the Release Notes
for Fedora Core 2 -- it documents how to do it. I'm sure it also works
for FC3.

Bob