Applications for FC4

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Mon Nov 15 09:31:21 UTC 2004

On 11/14/2004 07:51:11 PM, Temlakos wrote:

> I realize that we're likely to expand Fedora Core 4 to fill up all
> four
> disks and maybe even break into a fifth disk. But, hey--some distros
> out
> there have as many as six.

I have a different philosophy.
Get it down to two disks - one install and one devel tools/headers
Pick either KDE or GNOME but not both - I say GNOME.
Dump evolution - it's become too bloated. Balsa is very good, and if
they put the resources in balsa that they have to put into Evolution -
Balsa would absolutely rock - as long as KISS is kept - no bloat!
Dump OpenOffice.org
AbiWord and Gnumeric are much better - cleaner interface, less bloat.
Granted - OO.o has a powerpoint clone. But it's still a slow bloated
piece of junk.
Get rid of Sendmail. Go with Postfix.
Get rid of vixie-cron/anacron. Go with fcron
Get rid of *SQL, PHP, Apache, etc. Gone.

Sure - users can still choose that other stuff. That's what yum is for.

You get fedora down to one install CD and one developer CD with apps
that are consistant interface (I say gnome/gtk2+) and then OEM's have a
reason to bundle it - their support staff doesn't have to learn 4 CD's
worth of software to help Joe 5-pack (one beer short of a six-pack) out
when he calls their support line asking how to set up AOL for Linux.

Oh - and one more thing - don't set up networking until after install.
That way things like PPPoE can be configured during first boot.

Granted - my desire is for Fedora to become a good base for OEM's to
use for Linux on the Desktop. Lindows was a flawed concept from the
start, LotD needs something better. Red Hat's desire is to use Fedora
as somewhat of a testing ground for RHEL etc. Since they control the
project, I guess they win. *sigh*