Applications for FC4

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Mon Nov 15 12:21:22 UTC 2004

On 11/15/2004 02:02:39 AM, Jos Vos wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 15, 2004 at 09:53:37AM +0000, D. D. Brierton wrote:
>
> > Frankly the rest of your suggestions (e.g.dumping OOo , Apache,
> PHP,
> > etc.) are too ridiculous to bother responding to.
>
> I couldn't agree more (you forgot to mention Sendmail ;-)).
>
> And also dumping KDE (and thus dumping all Fedora KDE users) is
> a very bad thing.  I personally don't like both (I'm from the
> generation that used X on a 386 with 8MB of memory (no, I'm
> *not* talking about videocard memory ;-)) with twm and that
> worked just fine, but today's generation wants/needs a "desktop"
> and (dis)likes either KDE or GNOME.

Just to make myself clear - I'm not talking about ripping that stuff
from RHEL. What I'm after is LOTD. Linux on the Desktop.

Ticking off either the KDE or the GNOME users doesn't matter.
The path to LOTD is through the OEM - the OEM doesn't want to support
4,5,6 CD's worth of software.

Ticking off the current GNOME or KDE fans by choosing one and dumping
the other doesn't matter, that's not who I want to target - I want to
target the masses and masses of people who don't have a KDE or GNOME
preference because they don't use Linux.

What these users do need is a vendor who will be able to supply phone
support, and to supply adequate phone support, your support
representatives need to be familiar with the software. Do you train
them on 4 CD's worth of software or 1 CD worth of software?

It doesn't take a kernel developer to figure out which is both cheaper
and faster. The masses that don't use Linux now don't need servers,
that's RHEL territory - not LOTD territory.