Applications for FC4

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Nov 16 04:28:42 UTC 2004

On Monday 15 November 2004 14:09, Kyrre Ness Sjobak wrote:
>man, 15.11.2004 kl. 19.10 skrev Michael A. Peters:
>> On 11/15/2004 07:12:46 AM, Kyrre Ness Sjobak wrote:
>> > Now M$ is including mp3
>>
>> Apple has included mp3 for a long time.
>> I have to wonder if iTunes is why MS suddenly felt they needed to
>
>Windows Media player has included mp3 for longer than iTunes have
>existed.

I think so, but one never can know if Bill paid faunhofer(sp) the 5
figure license fee to do so.  I mean WTF, its coffee money for
redmond.  It could be that Bill is too big for faunhofer(sp) to sue.
I also found it a bit hilarious that the so called demo windows media
files included in the windows distros have been found to have been
processed by a pirate copy of soundforge? and carry the crackers
signatures.  See the /. story a few days ago to clarify those
details.

Around 5 years ago, some friends of mine wanted to put up a free music
server featureing local talent (and there are indeed a few that bear
listening to), and got rather disappointed when faunhofer initially
wanted $25k for the license to just have mp3's encoded from any mp3
workalike source available from their server.  It didn't make any
difference to them if it wasn't encoded with one of their licensed
encoders or not.  Several months of negotiations got it down a ways,
but not enough to justify the startup to have anything but oggs on
their listings.  It ran for a couple of years with rather mediocre
success.  By mediocre, I don't think it ever paid for the hardware to
do it.  I don't recall how much the typical cut would charge your
card, but it wasn't much as it wasn't designed to be a gold mine, but
to advertise local talent.

This is strike number one in the arguments about software patents.

IMO, ANY and yes I'm yelling, ANY file format that intends to be a
standard should be absolutely free and clear of any patent or
copyright riders.  mp3 fails that test in any sane court on the
planet.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)