Slashdot is discussing "FC3: worthwhile or not ?"

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Tue Nov 16 22:56:44 UTC 2004

On Tue, Nov 16, 2004 at 11:51:46AM -0600, Gregory G Carter wrote:
> Despite what people would have you believe, SCSI isn't going away.  I
> read about SERIAL ATA blah blah better blah blah faster...

I talk to lots of vendors. Parallel SCSI is dead, just the momentum keeps
it alive (existing installs, habit etc).

> SCSI is designed to be a complete I/O sub system unto itself, and it can
> operate quite nicely without the CPU.

So can SATA (and parallel ATA)

> to take that because this is so, IDE is overtaken SCSI.  IDE has always
> overtaken SCSI in sheer numbers, but to suggest less work or work is
> dropping on the SCSI subsystem support for storage is a bit much.

The linux "scsi" subsystem is a "scsi command" subsystem not a scsi as in
zillion wires, terminator nightmares driver. SCSI the command set is a live
and well - IDE ATAPI is SCSI command, USB storage is SCSI command, FC
is SCSI command, iSCSI is SCSI command.. only ATA and floppy really doesnt
follow that command model nowdays.

Alan