Help Installing Oracle 10g on Fedora

Glen Staufer alaxsxaq at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 17:35:32 UTC 2004

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 16:28:34 +0100, DJ Anubis <labproject at free.fr> wrote:
> Le Mercredi 17 Novembre 2004 11:28, Larry D. Brown a écrit :
>
> You'll have to install a bunch of compat packages (support for RedHat
> 7.3).
>
> --

Just a comment on this in particular.  I followed the procedures described at:

http://staff.in2.hr/denis/oracle/10g1install_fedora1_en.html

Part of that is the installation of the compatibility libraries and
there is mention of gcc296 that supposedly gets installed with
compat-gcc.  Well, it didn't get installed on my FC3 system, so I went
ahead and used gcc 3.4.2.  Aside from having to override the installer
check, my installation went without a hitch.

I also had to comment this line out of inittab:

h1:35:respawn:/etc/init.d/init.cssd run >/dev/null 2>&1 </dev/null

The cssd stuff is related to rac.  All this was doing for me on my
install (which is not a production server and does not use any rac
stuff) was a bunch of spawning too fast error messages in my syslogs.

--Glenn