more information on my trouble reading CDROM's with hdc=ide-cd. Anybody else?

Paul Johnson pauljohn at ku.edu
Thu Nov 18 00:14:47 UTC 2004

Now we are talking!

Rebooted with ide-cd and put in a cdrom and that irq timeout crapola
started spewing.

But then I realized I needed to try to stop the "automounter" or
whatever that hal thing is.  So I pushed the eject button and waited for
error messages to clear, then topped haldaemon.  And then

SUCCESS! with:

mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

That worked with a CDR I wrote.

I was suspicious that this reallly fixed it, then unmounted and tried

mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

And those irq timeout errors happened again.

What next? Can I configure the hal or udev to get this right?

I don't really see what haldaemon does for me anyway.  I suppose it
would mount a usb stick if I put it in? (don't have one, though). When I
first installed FC3, the dos partitions and unused fc3 partitions were
listed as /media/idedisk1, /media/idedisk2, and so forth. But those
disappeared, I have no idea why...

pj

Paul E. Johnson                       email: pauljohn at ku.edu
1541 Lilac Lane, Rm 504