more information on my trouble reading CDROM's with hdc=ide-cd. Anybody else?

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Thu Nov 18 06:02:18 UTC 2004

Hi Paul,

(please avoid top posting)

On Wed, 2004-11-17 at 18:14 -0600, Paul Johnson wrote:
> mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
>
> That worked with a CDR I wrote.

I'm curious, what is the output of 'cat /etc/mtab'. Also, does this work
even when hald is running?

> I was suspicious that this reallly fixed it, then unmounted and tried
>
> mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
>
> And those irq timeout errors happened again.

And what is the output of the 'cat /etc/mtab' here? Also, does this also
fail even when hald is not running?

> What next? Can I configure the hal or udev to get this right?

My suspicion is that the fs detection code in mount(1) doesn't get it
right (mount(1) tries to detect the filesystem when auto is specified),
hence why I'm asking for the /etc/mtab outputs. This may be caused by
driver issues in the kernel that is drive specific.

I could be wrong though.

> I don't really see what haldaemon does for me anyway.  I suppose it
> would mount a usb stick if I put it in? (don't have one, though). When I
> first installed FC3, the dos partitions and unused fc3 partitions were
> listed as /media/idedisk1, /media/idedisk2, and so forth. But those
> disappeared, I have no idea why...

There was a reason for this; the fs detection code in hal isn't complete
for ATARAID, hence we could wrongfully add harmful entries to
the /etc/fstab file that would result in data loss. So we played it
safe.

Thanks,
David