Fedora Firstboot Enhancements

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Sun Nov 21 01:39:03 UTC 2004

On Sun, Nov 21, 2004 at 08:12:20AM +0800, joelbryan wrote:
> 1. Printers & Scanners
> 2. Network ISP's for PPPoe (DSL, Broadband)
> 3. Up2Date Software Updates
> 4. Login Preferences (Facebrowser, Network Login)

I'm not so keen on all of this. I think, rather, firstboot should ask the
minimal few questions required to get a) an admistrative user set up and b)
the machine to boot up so that user can log in.

Then, everything can be handled using the standard tools in a real,
full-fledged work environment. Perhaps some further handholding is warranted
at that point (a "getting started" app?) but I don't think it should impede
the first system startup.