Fedora Firstboot Enhancements

Kyrre Ness Sjobak kyrre at solution-forge.net
Mon Nov 22 10:48:00 UTC 2004

søn, 21.11.2004 kl. 23.19 skrev Michael A. Peters:
> On 11/21/2004 12:42:23 PM, Kyrre Ness Sjobak wrote:
>

> > As far as i know, a USB printer is really never turned completely
> > off...
> >

> Mine is.
> I have a laserjet4 (JetDirect) - I rarely use the usb printer, only
> when I need to so something with colour, less than once a month.
>
> I turn it off as in all the way off - no power at the brick.
>
> kudzu says it can't find it, I tell it to keep configuration, and
> that's last I hear of it.

Hmm.. okay. I remember my (HP 930 C) printer used to make windows make a
"device disconected" sound when turned off - and then, immediatly, a
"device connected" sound.

Next time you boot - will it whine then as well?

> -=-
>
> Anyway - my point is kudzu is the RH/Fedora hardware tool. Firstboot
> isn't. If there is a problem with how kudzu handles a printer, kudzu
> should be fixed rather than moving detection to firstboot.
>
> People buy printers to replace old ones - so kudzu is where it belongs.

Maybe. But this behaviour is extremely annoying. Maybe this is one point
where you *want* a manual install? Ie. that the users has to go to
system-config-printer and install it? It's not like its hard or
anything...