A suggestion for an enhancement to Nautilus.....

William Hewitt wphewitt at bpa.gov
Mon Nov 22 19:19:26 UTC 2004

I have added a "terminal" script under the scripts folder that launches
a terminal in the context of whatever directory I happen to be viewing
via the nautilus navigation windows (there used to be tons of variations
on this out on the web...)..... This has turned out to be *very*
handy....

Before, I would open nautilus to find a directory, realize that I needed
a terminal and have to select terminal from the panel and navigate via
the terminal to the directory that I want to be in..... very
convoluted....

I think it would add great value if such a script were available from
the "File" menu in the nautilus shell..... (ie - File->Open
Terminal)..... rather than under "Scripts"....... Currently, I have to
add this to every account after an install and it really should be
available to all accounts by default.....and a little easier to
find.....

I thought about fixing the source to allow for this, but I dont
currently have the time or the background to delve into Nautilus source
without any documentation for what is probably not a big mod for someone
who knows the internals of the application.....

I would suggest, that in fedora, such an enhancement would be of value
and add some polish to nautilus...... Perhaps, I am missing something
and it is already there? Dont know....

"Nautilus Folks", hope you consider this....

WPH