OOO not auto-saving by default

Kyrre Ness Sjobak kyrre at solution-forge.net
Mon Nov 22 21:45:42 UTC 2004

man, 22.11.2004 kl. 22.25 skrev Sean Bruno:
> > Hi there,
> > I wouldn't be so quick to turn on auto-save.  For my part, I quite often
> > use one document or spreasheet as a template for a new one and, in such
> > cases, if you are not fast enough to his save as you original document
> > is lost.  Also, if you work with versions and/or are testing formulas
> > etc. in your spreadsheet you would probably like to control the file
> > save yourself.
>
> Maybe I don't understand the "auto-save" feature.
>
> How does one recover documents in the even of a power outage, machine
> glitch, etc...Does OOO have a temp file that it can recover from?  In
> this case, the write did not have anything to recover from.

As far as i know - it *should* have. Not save/overwrite the old file,
just create a new temp one. Which is detected in case of of chrash, and
recovered.

As far as i know, OO does this, MS word does this - even vim does this!
That is why you can recover documents never ever saved.

But i have seen cases where it haven't worked - looks like OO haven't
detected where the file was. Or it was never created.

When that is said, i have used oo for about 1½ year now, and can only
remember two bad crashes - and in only one case i was unable to recover.
I remember cursing word many, many times more