That last set of updates has upset my box!

Paul paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk
Tue Nov 23 23:42:16 UTC 2004

Hi,

In a nutshell, here's what has happened tonight.

Everything was normal, I did an update, updated from svn mono and the
other bits from there and was doing my email.

I noticed that gtkhtml-sharp wasn't compiling. The script in gtk-sharp
is supposed to pick up libgtkhtml3, see if it's new enough and if it is,
will create gtkhtml-sharp (it's just a wrapper). Now, I know that
libgtkhtml is on this machine (otherwise the likes of Evolution wouldn't
work).

Open a terminal, /sbin/ldconfig

lots of errors about files not being symlinks. Oh dear.

Then odd things start happening. All email gets sent to the junk folder
in Evolution, terminal windows fail to open, desktop icons stop working,
panel applets fail to operate....

I swapped to tty1 and typed rpm -q gtkhtml-devel

Machine replies that /usr/lib/libpopt cannot be found. Sure enough, it
had vanished - along with quite a few other libraries.

Okay, reboot, see what happens.

Lots of errors about libpopt not being there. Damn. I can log in to a
tty, but no network. I burn my /usr/lib directory to CD from the laptop
(also on rawhide) and copy it to this machine. That's better. I don't
get the libpopt error now. Reboot. No network, no desktop (Id 'x'
respawned too quickly).

Reboot, switch off selinux incase that was the problem. This time, I get
eth0 up, but no desktop. Not a problem, downgrade to a previous version
of xorg-x11, reboot with selinux. No eth0, but with desktop. Try the
last selinux, reboot - same as before, no eth0 when it's enabled.

I'm now running on a machine without selinux and an older xorg-x11.

Anyone else seeing this?

TTFN

Paul
--
"I'm gonna hit the highway like a bat out of hell with a Cilla Black fan
on the bike" - Meatloaf