Help Installing Oracle 10g on Fedora

Gregory G Carter gcarter at aesgi.com
Fri Nov 26 20:28:48 UTC 2004

Glen Staufer wrote:

>On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 13:03:59 -0600, Gregory G Carter <gcarter at aesgi.com> wrote:
>

>>Bad question to ask.
>>
>>What you are asking will land anyone in here in jail in a country with
>>software patents or part of the trading block of the USA and requires
>>reverse engineering the installer, and certain sections of the software
>>to determine how it installs itself.
>>
>>That is highly illegal, and it violates the software agreement you
>>agreed to when you downloaded 10g anyway.
>>
>>Only install the Oracle database on a validated copy of Linux for which
>>it is designed if you want to stay out of jail.
>>

>There isn't any language that I can see in the download click-through
>license that specifically prohibits installing Oracle software on an
>unsupported platform.  If you download the software and use the
>'-ignoreSysPrereqs' option or edit the oraparam.ini file, are you
>reverse engineering anything?  I wouldn't think so.

That isn't the language the poster used though and I quote:

"Any ideas about how
to fool the Oracle Universal Installer into thinking it is on a
supported platform?"

Ideas such as these would require understanding how the installer works.

That is and of itself is illegal.  No undestanding is granted without a
license, and it doesn't have to specifically spelled out if you live in
the US and attempt to do this.

It is ORACLE's IP and you do NOT have a right to ANY UNDERSTANDING OF IT
AT ALL.

Why do you think people who patent a software algorithm can sue people
who come up with the same solution because it is so obvious, just by
accident.

JUST because you came up with the same solution independantly, DOES NOT
EXCUSE YOU from breaching IP.

You must pay, and you WILL PAY DEARLY.

You have no RIGHTS WHATSOEVER when you develop software in the USA or
its trading block countries UNLESS:

1) You have a patent that no one can defeat.

2) You have no patent, but argue your case as precedent successfully in
a court, that you actually orginally invented the process and own it.

Both require BILLIONS to defend.

Good Luck and God Speed.

-gc

PS: Or move to Europe.