/usr has vanished completely!

Brian Millett bpm at ec-group.com
Sat Nov 27 01:27:55 UTC 2004

> On Fri, Nov 26, 2004 at 08:03:05PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Friday 26 November 2004 18:34, Brian Millett wrote:
>> >
>> >So I'd say something is rotten.
>>
>> It would appear so, and I don't have any other ideas.
>
> Do for the moment 'ln -sf /proc/mounts /etc/mtab'.  It is not
> really correct but should tide you over.
>
> If you have some file systems which appear to be mounted but
> still have nothing to show, say /usr to be specific, do
>
>    umount /usr ; mount -a
>
> without paying attention to error messages.  Most likely it will
> help.  Repeat as long as needed.

Ok, just for laughs, I rebooted into single user and
cat /proc/mounts
rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
/proc /proc proc rw,nodiratime 0 0
none /dev tmpfs rw 0 0
/dev/root / ext3 rw 0 0
none /dev tmpfs rw 0 0
none /selinux selinuxfs rw 0 0
/proc /proc proc rw,nodiratime 0 0
/proc/bus/usb /proc/bus/usb usbfs rw 0 0
/sys /sys sysfs rw 0 0
none /dev/pts devpts rw 0 0
none /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc binfmt_misc rw 0 0

then I mounted /boot and /home.  then

cat /proc/mounts
rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
/proc /proc proc rw,nodiratime 0 0
none /dev tmpfs rw 0 0
/dev/root / ext3 rw 0 0
none /dev tmpfs rw 0 0
none /selinux selinuxfs rw 0 0
/proc /proc proc rw,nodiratime 0 0
/proc/bus/usb /proc/bus/usb usbfs rw 0 0
/sys /sys sysfs rw 0 0
none /dev/pts devpts rw 0 0
none /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc binfmt_misc rw 0 0
/dev/hda5 /home ext3 rw 0 0
/dev/hda1 /boot ext3 rw 0 0
sunrpc /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs rpc_pipefs rw 0 0

Then I

cat /etc/mtab
/dev/hda1 /boot ext3 rw 0 0
none /dev/pts devpts rw,gid=5,mode=620 0 0
none /dev/shm tmpfs rw 0 0
/dev/hda5 /home ext3 rw 0 0
none /proc proc rw 0 0
none /sys sysfs rw 0 0
none /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc binfmt_misc rw 0 0
/dev/hda5 /home ext3 rw 0 0
/dev/hda1 /boot ext3 rw 0 0
sunrpc /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs rpc_pipefs rw 0 0

Ok, so it is wrong.  Am going to try the ln -sf /proc/mounts /etc/mtab and
see what happens.

Then I'll back grade initscripts.

--
Brian Millett
Enterprise Consulting Group  "Shifts in paradigms