yum upgrade?

Ville Herva vherva at viasys.com
Sun Nov 28 14:30:38 UTC 2004

On Sat, Nov 09, 1963 at 03:01:01PM +0000, seth vidal wrote:

> To upgrade via yum the short version goes like this:
>
> 1. backup all your data
> 2. upgrade yum to yum from fc3
> 3. upgrade fedora-release to fedora-release from fc3
> 4. make sure all your repositories point where you think they should
> point.
> 5. run yum list updates - just to make sure things seem sane and working
> 6. make sure you are NOT in X and X is not loaded
> 6. from a terminal prompt run: yum upgrade
> 7. wait wait wait
> 8. you must reboot before using your system again
> 9. reboot the system and make sure you select the new kernel, not the
> old one(s)
> 10. once your system is fully booted you may want to install some
> additional items. Recommended:
>   yum groupupdate "GNOME Desktop Environment"
>
> let me know what problems you encounter.

Based on my recent experience, it usually works, but often requires some
tinkering. It even works from older distros than FC2, but be prepared for
some improvized and sometimes dirty manual rpm -Uvh --force work :-I.

I would like to add a few steps to Seth's instructions:

In case you didn't have selinux enabled previously (the relabeling may be a
good idea anyhow):

  7.1) yum install selinux-policy-targeted policycoreutils
       (or selinux-policy-strict if you please)
  7.2) touch /.autorelabel

This will force selinux relabeling on next boot.

Make sure the next kernel to boot is the new (selinux-enabled) one.

I'm not sure if this (between 7 and 8) is the best place for it. It seems to
work.

Also, make sure you have enough disk space (and memory) for a large yum
upgrade. May sound dumb, but I just managed to get my yum upgrade
interrupted by both insufficiencies :-).

-- v --

v at iki.fi