livecd using fedora core 3 with kde3.3.1, gnome 2.8 etc

Dirk Westfal livelinux at nwst.de
Mon Nov 29 20:01:25 UTC 2004

On Monday 29 November 2004 19:31, Jim Martin wrote:
> seth vidal wrote:
> >>I know the feeling about poor documentation, I have been trying to
> >>figure out how to create a scaled down version of FC2 and now 3, all I
> >>want is the core Linux files, Xorg and KDE, and I would like to be able
> >>to use anaconda to install it. I have no idea where to start, and
> >>searching google resulted in me pulling out my hair, and breaking a few
> >>dozen pencils. anyone have any advice they would like to share :) please.
> >
> >Why not just use kickstart?
> >
> >-sv
>
> Kickstart has a lot of nice features, but the idea here is to create an
> installable boot cd, that i can give to friends to install FC from 1 cd,
> not 4. but I will continue to read up on kickstart , thanks Seth.

I`ve played/still am playing with kickstart a lot.

In my expirience this approach works only with a 'heavely' adjusted and tested
comps file -  and if you make it use just one section that includes a list of
rpms that is known&tested as 'working' (that`s what i normally do).

Even then one isn`t on the safe side since a single package dependency can
easely lead into a full chain that needs to be resolved (+ more
interdependecies) and suddenly you have an X server (and/or a lot of other
stuff) where you never wanted one.

That problem does not exist in fedora alone - just some days before i`ve seen
a suse server (a root server with only LAMP, pop/imap etc) with gnome-vfs,
pango, image-magick etc. installed - just because some perl modules have it
filed as requirement (*shudder*).

So you almost always end up in 'hand crafting' a reasonable small subset that
you can use to start with - for every new release which is somewhat time
expensive.

(BTW: thanks god for yum! :)

Best Regards,
Dirk Westfal