FC3 T2 conflicts - duplicate programs

Glen Staufer alaxsxaq at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 12:26:55 UTC 2004

Trying to run 'yum update' and I run into this error:

udev conflicts: mkinitrd<=0:4.1.11-1

yum list | grep mkinitrd shows that I have two versions installed,
4.1.14-1 and 4.1.11-1.

So, what's the best way to deal wtih this?  I thought about
uninstalling mkinitrd and reinstalling it to get the right version.  I
had a similar problem with tcsh and did a remove/install with
apparent success.  There are so many dependencies on mkinitrd that I'm
afraid I'll break stuff that I need to do a re-installation and then
I'll really have problems.

Is there a good way to purge this system of old versions of installed
programs?  Why does this happen?  This was a fresh install of FC3T2
done just this weekend which has only seen updates since.

Thanks.

Glenn