Missing menu items after upgrade

D. D. Brierton darren at dzr-web.com
Thu Oct 28 00:39:25 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-10-28 at 01:21, Colin Walters wrote:

> > Emacs seems to be suffering from the same problem. It is missing from
> > the 'programming' menu.
> > setting NoDisplay=true to false in
> > /usr/share/applications/gnu-emacs.desktop
> > gets it back in the menu.
>
> This is deliberate.  We want Emacs as part of the default installation
> for all of us Emacs weenies, but Emacs is not a typical end user
> application, so it shouldn't be in the menu.

What? Not even in the PROGRAMMING Menu? *Nothing* in the Programming
Menu is a typical end user application. Are we going to remove that menu
as well? This strikes me as a really bad idea. I absolutely agree with
the trend Red Hat and GNOME have been taking of late, but this strikes
me as a step too far. Either a user chooses a typical desktop install,
in which case Emacs, Mozilla and others aren't installed, or they are
installed and are in the menu. How can users discover some of the
wonderful applications that are bundled with FC if they don't even know
they are there? I generally just choose "Everything" at install time,
and enjoy browsing through the menus and seeing what goodies are in
there.

I'm honestly quite staggered by this. Applications that I choose to
install won't show up in the menu because a typical end user wouldn't
ever use them. In which case don't install them for the end user, and
when someone deliberately chooses to install them put an entry for them
in the menu!

Best, Darren