Automatic mounting of USB drives...

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Thu Oct 28 19:08:57 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-10-28 at 14:48 -0400, John Burton wrote:
> But it does not mount them. I can manually mount them by doing a
> "mount /dev/sda1 /media/COMMON".

Doing a mount '/media/COMMON' or 'mount /dev/sda1' would suffice, FWIW.

> Now, the question. What do I have to do to have the USB drive/partitions
> mounted automatically?

In GNOME there's gnome-volume-manager that is installed by default and
the default configuration will mount them either when you log in or when
you attach them to your system. For KDE, there's KDE Volume Manager
(that is much like gnome-volume-manager) on kdenonbeta which I don't
think we ship. You could submit it to fedora.us to get it packaged and
then it could end up in FC4.

HTH,
David