Udev and fstab - beginners question

malcolm malcolm at interele.demon.co.uk
Sat Oct 2 18:59:33 UTC 2004

It does sort of plug and play
If I plug my mp3 player into the usb port a USB Drive icon appears in
the 'computer' window. if I double click on it I get a message that says
Unable to mount the selected
volume - If I click on the details it says mount: only root can
mount /dev/sda1 on
/media/usbdisk If I open a console and su to root I can mount it OK
- fstab says

/dev/sda1               /media/usbdisk          vfat
noauto,console,exec,managed,noatime,sync 0 0

if I stuff 'users' in the options list I can then mount it as a user but
if I
physically remove it and add it again whatever automogically does the
fstab
goes back to what is above

The same applies to my DVD and CDRW

best wishes