FC3T2 - How to reinstall GRUB after boot problem... RTFM didn't help.

Mike Martin mem0tech at cableone.net
Sat Oct 2 22:36:34 UTC 2004

Hello.

I've got a problem that I've not been able to solve via RTFM for two
days now. Perhaps someone here could point me in the right direction.

I'm running both WinXP and FC3T2. My setup is simple. Two ATA drives in
my system:

/dev/hda - Windows disk.
/dev/hdb - FC3T2 disk. /dev/hdb1=/; /dev/hdb2=swap
/dev/hdc - CD Burner.
/dev/hdd - CD Burner.
GRUB was installed on /dev/hda

I had problems with Windows and had to reinstall WinXP. The GRUB boot
loader was blown away. No problem.

Try #1) I booted from the FC3T2 ISO image #1 and executed "linux rescue"
at the first prompt. Good. It found my FC3T2 install. Good.
/mnt/sysimage had it all. Good.

I then typed "chroot=/mnt/sysimage" and then type "grub-install
/dev/hda". The system complained that /dev/hda with either read-only or
didn't exist. I then typed "ls /dev | grep -i hda" and hda was not found.

I exited the chroot env and then tried to execute
/mnt/sysimage/sbin/grub-install and it complained "grub not found."

Next I typed "ln -s /mnt/sysimage/sbin/grub /sbin" and then typed
"grub-install /dev/hda" and it said
"/usr/share/grub/blah-blah-blah/stage1 not found".

Spent 4 hours RTFMing and obviously didn't search well as I found
nothing that would help.

Try #2) Booted KNOPPIX 3.4 and attempted to install GRUB.

Mounted /dev/hdb1 /mnt/hdb1. Good. All my files are there.

Typed "ls -alR /mnt/hdb1/boot" and all the grub files were there.

grub-install didn't work with the same song and dance from above.

Spent all afternoon today searching for info, but again it is obvious
I'm not looking in the right directions.

All I want to do is just put GRUB back on /dev/hda so I can resume my
FC3T2 stuff.

Can someone help me in pointing out what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks for your time,

-mm